News and Events

2012-2013 Dates to Keep in Mind

*This Friday, 9/14, at 7pm*

Welcome Back Event! Join us for drinks and pizza at Ye Olde Watering Hole in Northampton.

*Future EGO Meetings*

FALL: 9/10, 10/9 (Tuesday—> Monday Schedule), 11/5, 12/3
SPRING: 1/28, 2/25, 3/25, 4/29

*Professional Development Seminar (provisional dates)*

FALL: 9/24, 10/22, 11/19
SPRING: 2/11, 3/11, 4/17 (Wednesday—> Monday Schedule)

2012 Conference Registration

The 2012 Graduate Interdisciplinary Conference, "Forces at Play: Bodies, Power, and Spaces," will be opening registration, starting February 9th, 2012.

Upon receiving the acceptance, you may register to present up until February 20th, 2012. Please refer to [] for further details.

2012 UMass Graduate Conference: Bodies, Power, and Spaces

Forces at Play: Bodies, Power, and Spaces

Cyber bullying, the male gaze in cinema, SlutWalk in Toronto, the canonization of slave narratives, border rhetoric in the classroom – issues such as these take up the ways bodies, power, and spaces converge in a re-seeing and re-interpreting of historical and contemporary social complexities. Investigating this nexus in our discursive and material realities gives us the language for articulating the machinations of power and space that construct and dismantle singular and collective (im)material bodies.

The English Graduate Organization of the University of Massachusetts Amherst invites submissions to our graduate interdisciplinary conference on March 31st, 2012. This year’s conference will push against standardized and finite notions of body, power, and space to explore how these three variables act upon each other to produce layered, complex, and radical permutations. We urge submitters to investigate the systems of regulation and control that maintain power over singular and collective bodies within various spaces. We invite submissions from a diverse range of disciplines, critical perspectives, and time periods; all three terms need not explicitly be examined in the project, though the possibility of convergence is an encouraged angle. Projects may include papers and/or panel presentations, performance pieces, and multi-media approaches on the following topics:

-literary theoretical approaches
-social spaces and institutions
-composition and rhetorical studies
-canonical studies of bodies of literature
-national and communal boundaries (migrant communities, diasporas, refugee camps)
-(post)colonialism and global studies
-gender and sexuality studies
-animal studies
-social thought and political economy studies
-media studies and digital spaces
-visual and performing arts
-pop culture/material culture
-emerging creative projects
-disability studies

We accept three different types of submissions:
1. Individual papers/projects: please submit an abstract of no more than 350 words. Include your name, paper title, institution, and email address.
2. Panels: please submit an 800 word proposal for an entire panel of presentations (3-4 presenters). Included in this proposal should be abstracts of all presentations, title of the panel, and information for each presenter (name, paper title, institution, and email address). If you are forming your own panel, you have the option of providing your own chair.
3. Performances and creative presentations/panels: we welcome submission of creative works, including creative writing, visual art, and dramatic performance. Please include a brief description of your project, as well as your name, project title, institution, and email address.

Email submissions to moc.liamg|fnocgnessamu#moc.liamg|fnocgnessamu no later than January 25th, 2011.

UMass EGO Minutes 10/11

Graduate Studies Committee

Faculty at GSC are discussing what sort of direction grad students would like in the program. What can faculty do to assist with professionalization? Discussion around this followed:

  • Open communication regarding EGO Professional Development Seminars (perhaps faculty can give suggestions on what kinds of topics we should be considering and also offer to serve as co-leader with graduate students on those topics).
  • We would also like to suggest rethinking of the role of advisors (how are advisors debriefed on interacting with their advisees; how often we meet seems to be based on whether or not our advisors are a match to our interests)
  • There's a written archive of alumni that needs to be transcribed/made digital so we can have some sort of alumni list. Grad students are interested in maintaining connections with our alumni.
  • Issues with graduate courses: can EGO advertise people interested in pursuing independent studies based either in interests (and a course isn't being offered/hasn't been offered in a while) or to fulfill requirements.
  • We will ask Celeste or whomever else can edit the department webpage to include a link to the EGO wiki.

GSS Finances:

AN met with Graduate Student Senate, who is transitioning away from the graduate school to student affairs. This has led to some changes and ultimately may be the reason for the misplacement of funds. However, that process is in recovery. However because of some changes at GSS, EGO will be making changes in how we do reimbursements.

  • GSS will only allow a single ad-hoc request per event with the maximum amount of $250. Last year, we requested $300 for the conference so we will be $50 short in that request due to budget changes. Thus, we will keep all conference funds tied to our GSS account.
  • GSS also prefers not to do small amount reimbursements so our goal is to take care of all our reimbursements through petty cash. This would include all event-related funds such as meetings, PDS, end of semester party.

GSS General Info:

FA met with a GSS representative so we're all updated on GSS activities for this semester/year. They are encouraging people to attend GSS meetings as they are in the process of negotiating a stronger relationship with the University. The next meeting is on Tue, Oct 18 from 12:15-1:45 in Campus Center 803. They are expecting to vote on changes to the GSS constitution, which can be reviewed in the current edition of VOICE or on the GSS website.

They have three concerns they'd like senators to share with departments:

  1. Encourage colleagues in other departments to attend/participate in GSS, especially in math, sciences, and philosophy. Currently, some departments have no representatives. Meetings are from 12:20 - 1:30 one Tuesday a month.
  2. Due to budget cuts, organizations such as the Everywoman Center, the Graduate Women's Network, the Student Legal Services, and Family Housing may not be able to maintain their current levels of functioning. Toward this, GSS is proposing an increase of $20 in the Graduate Student Tax we all pay. It would go from $100 to $120. Thus far, it has been very poorly received. GSS is looking for your input on this issue.
  3. The English department, due to its size and activity, has two GSS senators. We have been offered the option of selecting an alternate senator in the event that our two senators are unable to attend meetings so that we still have 2 votes in GSS. CH volunteered to do this for us.


9/12/11 First EGO Meeting of the Semester

EGO Minutes 9/12

  • Issues GEO is taking up this semester:
  • family housing increased rates
  • for some people the birth control pill continues to cost over $10; keep receipts for reimbursement
  • remember to enroll in dental/vision: that process is now open. Coverage begins Nov 1
  • Linda Haines at Accounts Payable is the person to talk to for reimbursements once you’ve spent over $250 on your prescription expenses.
  • For more information on GEO’s work:

9/26, 2pm: Intro to Professional Development (PDS)
10/11, 2pm: EGO Monthly Meeting
10/24, 2pm: Applying to Conferences (PDS)
11/7, 2pm: EGO Monthly Meeting
11/14, 2pm: Attending Conferences (PDS)
12/5, 2pm: EGO Monthly Meeting
End of semester party: TBA

PDS for the Spring: Looking for a Summer Job, Managing Research Through Tools like Zotero and EndNote, Applying for Fellowships/Outside Funding, Publishing Articles and Book Reviews

Grad Student Colloquia: LS will coordinate schedules/presenters. We might want to talk with Comp folks to see how CompShare works as a model and what we can glean from it. KM and NQ have a meeting with Joe Bartolomeo (Monday, 10 am tentatively) and Stephen Clingman (TBD).

EGO Bulletin/Booster: AW will coordinate a monthly bulletin.

page 1 of 22123...2122next »

We do our best to make the Event Calendar as accurate as possible. However, we cannot guarantee the accuracy of the calendar. If you notice a mistake, please let us know. Thanks!

Get your event in the Calendar. Email umassego AT

Use the arrow keys to see events in upcoming months.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License